Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Mineola in Wood County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Mineola Schools

 
 
Mineola Schools Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, September 1, 2019
1. Mineola Schools Marker
Inscription.  When the Texas & Pacific and the International & Great Northern Railroads intersected in 1873, the town of Mineola was created. Settlers quickly saw the need for educational facilities for their children. Shortly thereafter, private schools were established, one of which was taught by Miss Billie Wren from Ward-Belmont. Schools for the African American community also opened under the leadership of Robert Mason Jones. Many of the early schools were in churches with pastors as the instructors. T.L. Scruggs of the Baptist Church of Mineola opened a private school until 1882 as well as the Powell Chapel School. While many of the schools were private and received tuition from the students, in 1881 the City of Mineola began to collect a tax to help support the local schools, in addition to occasionally funding repairs and maintenance.

In August 1902, a bond issue was approved to construct two new schools: One for the African American students and one for the Anglo students. C.G. Lancaster was hired to design the schools. These buildings, constructed in 1902 and 1903, were the last city-funded school buildings, as all other school facilities

Mineola Schools Marker at the Mineola ISD Admin Building. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, September 1, 2019
2. Mineola Schools Marker at the Mineola ISD Admin Building.
The Mineola High School is beyond the trees behind the Admin Building.
were constructed by trustees of the Mineola Independent School District. Funding the schools was a combined effort within the community, with the city purchasing equipment such as desks and citizens, such as Mr. Lorenza Dow Callaway, offering free housing for teachers, and generous donations from the Meredith Foundation. In 1968, the school district fully integrated and McFarland High School closed. Through vocational training, athletics, arts programs and core curriculum as well as extensive community involvement, the Mineola schools have provided an exceptional education for Mineola residents.
Marker is Property of the State of Texas

 
Erected 2016 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 18493.)
 
Location. 32° 40.303′ N, 95° 30.147′ W. Marker is in Mineola, Texas, in Wood County. Marker is on West State Loop 564 south of Country Club Drive, on the right when traveling north. In front of Mineola ISD Admin building. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1000 West State Loop 564, Mineola TX 75773, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Callaway House (approx. 0.7 miles away); Thomas Clinic Building (approx. 0.7 miles away); St. Paul Missionary Baptist Church (approx.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
0.8 miles away); Birthplace of Miss Ima Hogg (approx. 0.9 miles away); O. P. Pyle House (approx. 0.9 miles away); O. P. Pyle (approx. 0.9 miles away); Gov. James Stephen Hogg and Wood County (approx. 0.9 miles away); "The Old Mineola City Hall" (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mineola.
 
Categories. African AmericansEducation
 

More. Search the internet for Mineola Schools.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 6, 2019. This page originally submitted on September 6, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 40 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 6, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement