Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Dallas in Dallas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Oak Cliff United Methodist Church

 
 
Oak Cliff United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Larry D. Moore, September 6, 2019
1. Oak Cliff United Methodist Church Marker
Inscription.  This congregation was formed in 1887 when the Shelton and Oliver families began meeting with circuit rider C. G. Shutt in the Shelton home under the name St. Mark's Methodist Church. The Olivers began Sunday School meetings in 1888. The first Methodist church building on this site, largely funded by the efforts of church women, was erected in 1894 and dedicated in 1901. In 1903, when Oak Cliff was annexed to the city of Dallas, the church had 317 members; by 1911 there were 856 congregants. The architectural firm of Sanguinet and Staats, designers of the 1903 Wilson Building in Dallas, the 1907 Flatiron Building in Fort Worth and the 1910 Scarborough Building in Austin, drew up plans for the Oak Cliff Methodist Episcopal Church, South.

The ambitious project was delayed for a time because of a lack of funds, but was resumed in 1915 and completed that year. The first wedding was performed in the building in January 1916. The edifice was dedicated in 1926 after the debt had been retired. By that time the membership was 1,649 and an educational building was erected. The church complex has been enlarged and renovated as needed. Though the
Oak Cliff United Methodist Church Marker Area image. Click for full size.
By Larry D. Moore, September 6, 2019
2. Oak Cliff United Methodist Church Marker Area
sanctuary was damaged by fire in 1958, it was soon restored and back in use.

The Oak Cliff United Methodist Church building consists of two stories and a full basement. The brick-clad edifice, designed on a cruciform plan, features a front facade dominated by a full height pedimented entry portico supported on cast concrete Tuscan columns. Other classical revival details, including cast stone coping, decorative brick frieze and palladian doors, make this structure distinctive.
 
Erected 1999 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11833.)
 
Location. 32° 44.843′ N, 96° 48.946′ W. Marker is in Dallas, Texas, in Dallas County. Marker is at the intersection of North Marsalis Avenue and East Jefferson Boulevard, on the right when traveling south on North Marsalis Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 549 East Jefferson Street, Dallas TX 75203, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Officer J.D. Tippit (approx. 0.2 miles away); Tenth Street Historic District Freedman's Town (approx. 0.6 miles away); A. H. Belo Corporation (approx. 2 miles away); The Dallas Morning News (approx. 2 miles away); Site of First Ferry and Bridge
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
(approx. 2.2 miles away); Western Heights Cemetery (approx. 2.2 miles away); The Grassy Knoll (approx. 2.2 miles away); Kennedy Assassination Route (approx. 2.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dallas.
 
Categories. Churches & Religion
 

More. Search the internet for Oak Cliff United Methodist Church.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 7, 2019. This page originally submitted on September 7, 2019, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. This page has been viewed 42 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 7, 2019, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas.
Paid Advertisement