Calhoun in Gordon County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Johnston's Rear Guard Stops McPherson
Deploying on both sides of Oothcalooga creek, the left of the line covering the road to Adairsville, Hardee ~ facing N. & W. ~ held McPherson´s forces throughout the day to enable the Confederate wagon trains to proceed to Adairsville.
This, the Battle of Rome Cross ~ Roads, was an episode of the Atlanta Campaign.
Erected 1953 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 064-18.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 34° 29.731′ N, 84° 57.897′ W. Marker is in Calhoun, Georgia, in Gordon County. Marker is on Oothcalooga Street (Georgia Route 53) 0 miles west of Chrest Drive, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. The Marker is located just northeast of the bridge over Oothcalooga Creek. Marker is in this post office area: Calhoun GA 30703, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Roland Hayes (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Calhoun Depot Gordon County (approx. 0.9 miles away); Calhoun, Ga, May 18, 1864. (approx. one mile away); Battle of Lay's Ferry (approx. 2.1 miles away); Richard Peters Plantation (approx. 2.3 miles away); Historic Liberty Cumberland Presbyterian Church (approx. 2.4 miles away); Liberty Church Grounds (approx. 2.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Calhoun.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 28, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 933 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 28, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.