Port Gibson in Claiborne County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
Port Gibson Historic Tour
407 Walnut. 1857 Greek Revival. Erected as a school for young ladies. Brashear Academy became Chamberlain-Hunt Academy after the Civil War. Thereafter, used as a public school until purchased by the First Presbyterian Church.
Location. 31° 57.562′ N, 90° 58.89′ W. Marker is in Port Gibson, Mississippi, in Claiborne County. Marker is on Walnut Street west of College Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Port Gibson MS 39150, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Presbyterian Church (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named First Presbyterian Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Shreve House (within shouting distance of this marker); Guthrie Home (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Port Gibson (about 300 feet away); Englesing Home (about 300 feet away); Temple Gemiluth Chassed (about 400 feet away); Gage House (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Port Gibson.
Categories. • Architecture • Education •
More. Search the internet for Brashear Academy.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 13, 2019. This page originally submitted on September 13, 2019, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 66 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 13, 2019.