A stone foundation is all that remains of a large wooden water tank that once stood on the low hilltop. Built around the year 1900, the tank used gravity to provide the property with water, which had been pumped up from the nearby Monongahela River. The water tank was just one of several improvements made to the property by Charles and Sarah Speer, owners from 1899-1910. In 1923, local handyman Alva Evans converted the water tank's stone foundation into a stone water cistern.
Erected by National Park Service.
Location. 39° 46.56′ N, 79° 55.879′ W. Marker is near Point Marion, Pennsylvania, in Fayette County. Marker is on the Friendship Hill National Historic Site grounds, along the service road about 150 feet north of the house. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 223 New Geneva Road, Point Marion PA 15474, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Friendship Hill (within shouting distance of this marker); Preserving the 1910 Landscape (within shouting distance of this marker); Monongahela River
Also see . . . Friendship Hill National Historic Site. (Submitted on September 13, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Man-Made Features •
More. Search the internet for Stone Cistern.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 13, 2019. This page originally submitted on September 13, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 69 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 13, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.