Newport News, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
In 1626, William Claiborne patented 500 acres along the Warwick River above Denbign. Captain Samuel Stevens acquired the estate, called Balthrope or Boldrup, in 1631. Stevens married Frances Culpeper who inherited the estate upon his death. Governor Sir William Berkeley married the wealthy widow and sold the 1,350-acre plantation to his close advisor Colonel William Cole in 1671.
William Cole (1638-1694) served as an attorney in Warwick County and commanded the countyís militia. He was a member of the Council of the State from 1674 until 1692. During Baconís Rebellion, Cole negotiated unsuccessfully with Nathaniel Bacon to end the conflict and later fled with Governor Berkley to the Eastern Shore. After Baconís death, Cole resumed his political career, serving as the colonial secretary of state from 1689 to 1692 and as a trustee for the College of William and Mary. He also acquired more land in York County, Elizabeth City County, and Warwick County. Cole left his heirs
Erected 2007 by Newport News Foundersí Trail.
Location. 37° 10.657′ N, 76° 34.55′ W. Marker is in Newport News, Virginia. Marker is on Enterprise Drive, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is located in Skiffes Creek Historic Park. Marker is in this post office area: Newport News VA 23603, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Stanley Hundred ( here, next to this marker); Skiffes Creek ( a few steps from this marker); Mulberry Point ( approx. 0.4 miles away); Fort Eustis ( approx. 0.4 miles away); Leeís Mill Earthworks ( approx. 0.9 miles away); Glebe Lands ( approx. one mile away); Battle of Leeís Mill ( approx. one mile away); Leeís Mill ( approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newport News.
More about this marker.
Categories. • Colonial Era •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 29, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 2,237 times since then and 100 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on November 29, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.