Bedford in Bedford County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
First Court House and Prison Built in 1774
First Court House
Prison Built in 1774
In the prison yard around which
was a high stone wall were
The Pillory and Whipping Post
used in those days for the
punishment of criminals
Prior to the erection of
this court house, the courts
were held in public inns
Erected by Bedford Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution and the Sons of the American Revolution of Bedford County Pennsylvania.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution, and the Sons of the American Revolution marker series.
Location. 40° 1.061′ N, 78° 30.244′ W. Marker is in Bedford, Pennsylvania, in Bedford County. Marker is at the intersection of Juliana Street and Penn Street, on the right when traveling south on Juliana Street. Touch for map. Marker is between the Civil War memorial and the Lutheran Church on the northwest portion of the town square. Marker is in this post office area: Bedford PA 15522, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bedford County Civil War Monument (a few steps from this marker); Bedford County (within shouting Bedford County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); The Squares (within shouting distance of this marker); Bedford County Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Bedford County Vietnam Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); The Elm Tree Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); This Tablet Marks The Site of Fort Bedford (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bedford.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Government • Notable Buildings • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 1, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 936 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 1, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.