Frederick in Frederick County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Evangelical Lutheran Church
to the Glory of God
in grateful recognition of those
who organized this congregation
and have maintained it for
two hundred years
1738 Congregation organized.
1743 Log church built on the Monocacy.
1746 Log church built on present parsonage site.
1747 Adoption of constitution for congregation drawn by Henry Melchior Muhlenberg.
1752 Stone church begun at rear of this building. Erection halted by French and Indian War. Completed in 1763.
1825 Rebuilding and enlargement of the stone church.
1846 Present parsonage built.
1854 This church built and dedicated.
1890 Church school built on Second Street. With additions made in 1912 and 1925.
This tablet placed in 1938 the bicentennial year of the congregation.
Erected 1938 by Evangelical Lutheran Church.
Location. 39° 24.922′ N, 77° 24.568′ W. Marker is in Frederick, Maryland, in Frederick County. Marker is on Church Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Church is about 300 feet east of Market Street (Maryland Route 355). Marker is at or near this postal address: 35 E. Church Street, Frederick MD 21701, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Kemp Hall ( about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); In April 1861 ( about 400 feet away); Capital For A Summer ( about 400 feet away); The News ( about 400 feet away); North Market Street ( about 400 feet away); Enoch Louis Lowe ( about 400 feet away); John Thomas Schley ( about 500 feet away); Former Site of Tory Gaol ( about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Frederick.
Also see . . . Evangelical Lutheran Church web site. (Submitted on December 3, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Churches, Etc. • Colonial Era • Notable Buildings • Settlements & Settlers • War, French and Indian •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 20, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 1, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,243 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 1, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. 3, 4. submitted on September 18, 2016, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 5, 6. submitted on December 1, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.