Frederick in Frederick County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Laboring Sons Memorial Ground
A cemetery was established at this site in 1851 by the Beneficial Society of the Laboring Sons of Frederick to provide a burial ground for citizens of color. The Beneficial Society had been formed in 1839 “for the purpose of relieving or alleviating, both spiritually and temporally, any member of us, who may be distressed . . .and to see that his mortal remains be interred with decency.” The society remained active for more than 100 years, and this ground remained a cemetery until 1949.
The trustees who purchased the land were:
William Brown • William Tasker
Robert E. Probee • Nicholas Thompson
• Perry G. Walker
This hallowed site was dedicated as a memorial ground by the City of Frederick and the Laboring Sons Memorial Committee on the 15th of January 2003.
This plaque was donated by Lough Memorials.
Erected 2003 by City of Frederick, the Laboring Sons Memorial Committee, Lough Memorials, and Resthaven Memorial Gardens.
Location. 39° 25.245′ N, 77° 24.429′ W. Marker is in Frederick, Maryland, in Frederick County. Marker is on Touch for map. Memorial is on west side of Chapel Alley between E. 5th Street and E. 6th Street. Marker is in this post office area: Frederick MD 21701, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Roger Brooke Taney (approx. 0.2 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); John McElroy, S.J. (approx. 0.2 miles away); Francis Scott Key (approx. 0.3 miles away); Enoch Louis Lowe (approx. 0.3 miles away); Former Site of Tory Gaol (approx. 0.3 miles away); North Market Street (approx. 0.4 miles away); Evangelical Lutheran Church (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Frederick.
Categories. • African Americans • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 1, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,433 times since then and 93 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on December 1, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.