Atlanta in DeKalb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Old Cross Keys
To distinguish the one from the other, this place was called Old Cross Keys & was thus cited in Federal dispatches, maps & reports of military operations here in 1864.
At this point, a brief contact was made between the marching columns of Dodge´s 16th & Schofield´s 23d A.C. July 18, both enroute to Decatur from Chattahoochee River crossings.
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 044-7.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission, and the Postal Mail and Philately marker series.
Location. 33° 53.524′ N, 84° 19.546′ W. Marker is in Atlanta, Georgia, in DeKalb County. Marker is at the intersection of Johnson Ferry Road NE and Donaldson Drive NE, on the left when traveling east on Johnson Ferry Road NE. Touch for map. The Marker is located in front of a small strip mall. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2146 Johnson Ferry Road, Atlanta GA 30319, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within Dodge's 16th A.C. Camp on Nancy's Creek (approx. 0.8 miles away); Ivy Street (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Samuel House Plantation (approx. 1.1 miles away); Oglethorpe University (approx. 1.3 miles away); 1917 ✯ Camp Gordon ✯ 1919 (approx. 1.6 miles away); 1941 ✯ Naval Air Station Atlanta ✯ 1959 (approx. 1.6 miles away); Hascall's Div. Joins Cox's Line of March (approx. 2.1 miles away); Brookhaven Historic District (approx. 2.1 miles away but has been reported missing). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Atlanta.
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 2, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,802 times since then and 61 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on December 2, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 2. submitted on December 7, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.