Atlanta in Fulton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Historic Owl Rock Church
This church has taken part in four distinct phases of Methodism in Georgia: as an Associated Methodist Church, 1828-1830; as a Methodist Protestant Church, 1830-1916; as a Methodist Episcopal Church, South, 1916-1939; and since 1939 a Methodist Church. The Annual Conference session of the Methodist Protestant Church was held here in the year 1900.
During the Battle of Atlanta many skirmishes were fought in the area and the church is mentioned frequently in the OFFICIAL RECORDS. Following the War Between the States the church sponsored an elementary public school. In 1921 the Sandtown School was created as a consolidation of the Owl Rock, Boat Rock and Sandtown schools.
Erected 1960 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 060-189.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 41.931′ N, 84° 34.803′ W. Marker is in Atlanta Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5880 Campbellton Rd SW, Atlanta GA 30331, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dry Pond (approx. 1.4 miles away but has been reported missing); Sandtown (approx. 1.8 miles away); Historic Mt. Gilead (approx. 4.2 miles away); Mt. Gilead M. E. Church (approx. 4.3 miles away); Site: Utoy Post Office (approx. 4.8 miles away); Enroute to Jonesboro (approx. 4.9 miles away); Third Division 23rd Corps Attack / Second Division 23rd Corps Attack (approx. 5.9 miles away); Site of the Campbell County Court House (approx. 6.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Atlanta.
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Churches, Etc. • Education • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 6, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 2,010 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 6, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 3. submitted on June 26, 2009, by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.