St. Marys in Camden County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
City of St. Marys
The city was laid out a second time as authorized by Act of Dec. 5, 1792. Map of town drawn by Parker, Hopkins, and Meers, certified by James Parker, County Surveyor, Jan. 3, 1792. The town of St. Marys was incorporated by an Act passed Nov. 26, 1802.
St. Marys was the temporary county seat until the first courthouse and Gaol (jail) was erected at Jefferson (Jeffersonton) as authorized and named in Act passed Nov. 29, 1800. Jeffersonton was the permanent county for sixty-nine years (1801- 1871).
An election held Jan. 3, 1871 authorized by an Act passed on Oct. 27, 1870 for removal of county seat from Jeffersonton to St. Marys. St. Marys was the first permanent county
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 020-10.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 30° 43.561′ N, 81° 32.839′ W. Marker is in St. Marys, Georgia, in Camden County. Marker is at the intersection of Osborne Street (Georgia Route 40) and Dillingham Street, in the median on Osborne Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Saint Marys GA 31558, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Spanish Occupation of Georgia (here, next to this marker); First Presbyterian Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); St. Marys Methodist Church Established 1799-1800 (about 500 feet away); Washington Pump & Oak (about 500 feet away); George Washington Oak Tree Site (about 500 feet away); Clark-Berssant House (about 700 feet away); First Pecan Trees Grown Here About 1840 (approx. ¼ mile away); Captain Lemuel Johnson Memorial and Park (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Marys.
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Colonial Era • Political Subdivisions •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 6, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,889 times since then and 82 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on December 6, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 2. submitted on December 7, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 3. submitted on March 10, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.