Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Las Vegas in Clark County, Nevada — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

The Las Vegas Mormon Fort

A Midpoint Way Station on the Mormon Road

 
 
The Las Vegas Mormon Fort Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dawn Bowen, June 22, 2007
1. The Las Vegas Mormon Fort Marker
Inscription. In April 1855, Brigham Young, President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints, called thirty men to leave their families and possessions in the recently settled towns of Utah to serve a mission at the Las Vegas Springs. The verdant meadows watered by the springs had been seasonally inhabited by the Paiute Indians for centuries. The water and the meadows made Las Vegas an important stop on the Spanish Trail (called the Mormon Road after 1848).

President Young directed this group of newly called missionaries to become self-sufficient, to provide a place of rest and security for travelers between California and Salt Lake City, and to teach the Indians the gospel of Jesus Christ. In the heat of the summer, in June 1855, the missionaries arrived at this site. The mission, intended to be permanent, was the first Anglo-American settlement in Las Vegas Valley.

By summerís end their irrigated gardens were producing fresh vegetables and grains. A new fort was under construction, and a spirit of cooperation and mutual learning was being established with the native inhabitants. They also discovered a deposit of lead ore in the nearby mountains. More missionaries were sent to smelt the complex ore in large quantities, but the attempt was unsuccessful.

On 23 February 1857 Church leaders sent word to the
Front entrance of original fort image. Click for full size.
By Dawn Bowen, June 22, 2007
2. Front entrance of original fort
settlement that the mission was to be disbanded. These early pioneers returned to Utah but left a legacy of faith, devotion, and service shown by their willingness to settle in this hostile environment.
 
Erected 1997 by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.
 
Location. 36° 10.831′ N, 115° 7.976′ W. Marker is in Las Vegas, Nevada, in Clark County. Marker can be reached from East Washington Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 500 E Washington Avenue, Las Vegas NV 89101, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Mormon Fort (a few steps from this marker); First Las Vegas Post Office (within shouting distance of this marker); Las Vegas Fort (within shouting distance of this marker); The Neon Boneyard Park Sign (approx. ľ mile away); Silver Slipper Gambling Hall (approx. 0.3 miles away); Jerry's Nugget (approx. 0.3 miles away); The "H" Wall (approx. 0.3 miles away); Biltmore Village (approx. 0.3 miles away but has been reported missing). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Las Vegas.
 
Categories. Forts, CastlesNotable Events
 
Marker at the fort image. Click for full size.
By Dawn Bowen, June 22, 2007
3. Marker at the fort
Orignal walls of the fort are still intact image. Click for full size.
By Dawn Bowen, June 22, 2007
4. Orignal walls of the fort are still intact
The Las Vegas Mormon Fort image. Click for full size.
By Denise Boose, 2009
5. The Las Vegas Mormon Fort
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 28, 2007, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,720 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 28, 2007, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia.   5. submitted on March 31, 2013, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement