Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Alexandria, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Carlyle House and the 18th-Century Site

 
 
The Carlyle House and the 18th-Century Site Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tom Fuchs, February 23, 2006
1. The Carlyle House and the 18th-Century Site Marker
Click on the picture to see it full size. The engraving and the map are clearly visible.
Inscription. The Carlyle House, completed in 1753, was the residence of one of the 18th-century Alexandria's leading citizens—John Carlyle—a prosperous merchant and landowner.

1. Although the earliest known engraving of the Carlyle House appeared in Harper's New Monthly in 1890, it showed the house at an earlier time. The simplicity of the landscaping in front is in keeping with the style of the mid-18th century. The large pointed trees are either Lombardy Poplars or Cedars planted on a lawn reserved for functional activities. The lack of shrubbery, especially as foundation plantings, is also typical of the 18th and early 19th centuries.

The flanking outbuilding on the right was Carlyle's kitchen. In the southern colonies, kitchens were in a separate building to keep the smoke, heat, and odors of cooking away from the main house and to lessen the danger of fire. The kitchen stood approximately where the Law Building is today.

The left outbuilding was Carlyle's office and counting room for his extensive mercantile operations. Attached to the left of the office were a store and a warehouse along Fairfax Street approximately where the 1807 Bank of Alexandria now stands.

—Carlyle House. Harper's New Monthly, February 1880. Courtesy of the Library of Congress.

2. Toward the rear
The Carlyle House and the 18th-Century Site Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tom Fuchs, February 23, 2006
2. The Carlyle House and the 18th-Century Site Marker
of the Bank of Alexandria was the site of other Carlyle outbuildings such as the stable, coach house, necessary, smokehouse, dairy, and storage sheds. This plan, drawn from a 1796 insurance policy, shows the relative locations of the outbuildings.

—Assurance policies of William Herbert, March 1796, Mutual Assurance Society of Virginia. Courtesy of The University of Virginia, Alderman Library. Composite drawn by Donald Stumpf.

The front plantings and interpretive signs are gifts from The Garden Club of Virginia —R. J. Favretti, Landscape Architect.
 
Erected 1991 by Garden Club of Virginia.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Virginia, Old Town Alexandria marker series.
 
Location. 38° 48.316′ N, 77° 2.534′ W. Marker is in Alexandria, Virginia. Marker can be reached from North Fairfax Street north of King Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. The marker is just inside the fence, to the right as you enter. Marker is at or near this postal address: 121 North Fairfax Street, Alexandria VA 22314, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bank of Alexandria (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Assembly Hall
Carlyle House image. Click for full size.
By Tom Fuchs, February 23, 2006
3. Carlyle House
(within shouting distance of this marker); Alexandria Washington Lodge (within shouting distance of this marker); The Ramsay House (within shouting distance of this marker); Alexandria, Virginia (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Alexandria.
 
Regarding The Carlyle House and the 18th-Century Site. The grounds include a ¾ acre 18th-century style garden. There is no charge to enter the garden.
 
Also see . . .  Carlyle House Historic Park. Official site. (Submitted on March 7, 2006.) 
 
Categories. Colonial EraNotable Buildings
 
Carlyle House Plaque image. Click for full size.
By Tom Fuchs, February 23, 2006
4. Carlyle House Plaque
"Built 1852. Restored 1976. Northern Virginia Regional Park Authority."
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 30, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 7, 2006, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,571 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 7, 2006, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement