Atlanta in DeKalb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
With 32 boys and five priest-teachers, Father John E. Gunn, S.M., pastor of Sacred Heart Church and later Bishop of Natchez, Mississippi, founded Marist College, a military day school for boys, in 1901. The Marist cadets were a familiar sight to Atlantans as they drilled on school property and marched in Peachtree Street parades.
The school has been known as Marist School since its move to the present campus in 1962.
Erected 2005 by Marist School.
Location. 33° 54.067′ N, 84° 20.15′ W. Marker is in Atlanta, Georgia, in DeKalb County. Marker is on "Ivy Street" drive on Marist Campus 0.1 miles west of Ashford-Dunwoody Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. The Marker is located at the end of Ivy Street, the drive through the Marist campus, at the circle in front of Centennial Center. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3790 Ashford-Dunwoody Road, Atlanta GA 30319, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dodge's 16th A.C. Camp on Nancy's Creek Old Cross Keys (approx. 0.9 miles away); Hascall's Div. Joins Cox's Line of March (approx. 1.3 miles away); The Samuel House Plantation (approx. 1.8 miles away); Oglethorpe University (approx. 1.9 miles away); Logan's & Blair's Camp Nancy's Creek (approx. 2.3 miles away); 1917 ✯ Camp Gordon ✯ 1919 (approx. 2.5 miles away); 1941 ✯ Naval Air Station Atlanta ✯ 1959 (approx. 2.5 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Atlanta.
Categories. • 20th Century • Churches, Etc. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 5, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,028 times since then and 36 times this year. Last updated on December 7, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos: 1. submitted on December 5, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 2. submitted on December 11, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.