Chester in Chester County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Chester Confederate Monument
This monument guards the memory
of the men of Chester District
who obeying the call of their state
died for the Confederate cause.
Time may crumble this marble into dust
but time can not dim their glory.
Their patriotism, their valor, their
faithfulness and their fame remain
forever the heritage of their
Non Sibi Sed Patriae
Their fame increases like the
branches of a tree through the
hidden course of time
Erected 1905 by Chester Chapter, United Daughters of the Confederacy and the Walker-Gaston Camp, United Confederate Veterans.
Marker series. This marker is included in the United Daughters of the Confederacy marker series.
Location. 34° 42.33′ N, 81° 12.798′ W. Marker is in Chester, South Carolina, in Chester County. Marker is at the intersection of Gadsden Street (State Highway 72) and Main Street (State Highway 9), in the median on Gadsden Street. Touch for map. Monument is located in the center of Chester on a knoll at the intersection of Main and Gadsden Streets. Marker is in this post office area: Chester SC 29706, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Davega Building (here, next to this marker); Monument Square (a few steps from this marker); Blaser Building (1871-1874) (within shouting distance of this marker); Chester Lodge World War II Marker (within shouting distance of this marker); Chester County Courthouse (1825-1855) (within shouting distance of this marker); Confederate Parrott Field Rifle Model 1863 (within shouting distance of this marker); Chester Hotel Building (1866-1876) (within shouting distance of this marker); Aaron Burr Rock (within shouting distance of this marker); Chester County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Confederate Parrott Field Rifle Model 1863 (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chester.
More about this marker. The Latin phrase on the monument, "Non Sibi Sed Patriae," translates "Not for self, but for country." The location of the monument was controversial. The site chosen was where Chester's Calhoun Guards and Chester Blues had sworn allegiance to the Confederacy.
Also see . . . Inventories of American Painting and Sculpture, Smithsonian American Art Museum. "The money for the monument was raised between 1865-1905 by various groups and individuals, including the Daughters of the Confederacy. The total cost of the monument was $2,000. The cornerstone, filled with historical documents, was laid May 10, 1905." (Submitted on March 26, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
1. Chester District Confederate Monument Timeline
1) 1870 - Mary Ellen McKee lead an unsuccessful effort to raise funds for a monument.
2) 1890 - Maude McLure gave a theatrical performance and raised $200.00 which was given to the city for a proposed monument.
3) 1900 - Julia Lilliam Campbell, president of the Chester Chapter, U.D.C., resumed fund raising.
4) 1904 - The U.D.C. had raised $300.00 and asked the Walker-Gaston Camp, U.C.V., to help.
5) January 1, 1905 - The two organizations had raised $416.52.
6) January 31, 1905 - McNeel Marble Company of Gainesville, Georgia, contracted to construct a forty-one foot monument for $2000.
5) April 1, 1905: Final amount raised for the monument: $2,072.75.
6) May 11, 1905 - The monument's cornerstone, filled with historical documents, was laid, using Lafayette's trowel.
7) June 27, 1905 - The Chester District Confederate Monument was unveiled at 6:30 p.m.
— Submitted May 24, 2016, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 8, 2008, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,248 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 8, 2008, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. 4, 5, 6. submitted on May 24, 2016, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 7, 8. submitted on December 8, 2008, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.