Clarkesville in Habersham County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Grace Protestant Episcopal Church
In 1841, the Rev. J B. Gallagher succeeded as Rector. Under his guidance, this building, begun in 1839, was completed in 1842. It was consecrated Oct 6, 1842 by the Rt. Rev. Stephen Elliott, JR., (first) Bishop of Georgia, who reported it as "a very neat wooden building, with tower and bell, prettily located and an ornament to the village."
Among prominent early members were: Richard W. Habersham, Sr. John R. Mathews, Wardens: Alexander Erwin, Benjamin F. Patton. George D. Phillips, John R. Stenford. Samuel A. Wales, John S. Dobbins, Dr. Phineas M. Kollock. Jacob Waldberg, Vestryman: Richard W. Habersham. Jr., George R. Jessup, lay delegate to the convention that admitted this church to the Diocese.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 34° 36.957′ N, 83° 31.41′ W. Marker is in Clarkesville, Georgia, in Habersham County. Marker is at the intersection of Wilson Street and East Green Street, on the right when traveling north on Wilson Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Clarkesville GA 30523, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Clarkesville War Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Habersham County (approx. 0.2 miles away); Toombs-Bleckley House (approx. ¼ mile away); Living & Learning In The Mountains (approx. 1.6 miles away); Summer Home of Joseph Habersham (approx. 1.9 miles away); Habersham Iron Works & Mfg. Co. (approx. 2.8 miles away); The Unicoi Turnpike (approx. 3.1 miles away); Piedmont College (approx. 3.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Clarkesville.
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 12, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 882 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 12, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.