Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Brunswick in Glynn County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

1800 Emanuel United Methodist Church

 
 
1800 Emanuel United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 19, 2005
1. 1800 Emanuel United Methodist Church Marker
Inscription. Begun in year 1800 as New Hope Methodist Church on Laurel Grove Plantation 2 miles S. present site. 1833 original building moved to this site and name changed to Emanuel. Hand hewn pillars and wooden pegs are visible. 1799 George Clark, sent by Bishop Asbury to St. Mary´s, started Methodist Societies in Glynn Co. 1829 Quarterly Conf. for St. Mary´s and St. Illa Ct. held here. Wm. Gassoway- pastor; James Helveston- class leader. 1841 St. Illa Ct. (Satilla) became the Brunswick Ct. with Emanuel as one of 11 preaching points. Since 1799 Emanuel has been in continuous service.
 
Erected 1976 by South Georgia Conference Commission on Archives and History.
 
Location. 31° 10.097′ N, 81° 36.26′ W. Marker is near Brunswick, Georgia, in Glynn County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 82 and Ratcliff Road, on the right when traveling west on U.S. 82. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Brunswick GA 31523, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Union School ( approx. 1.2 miles away); Brunswick's "Liberty Ships" ( approx. 6.5 miles away); World War II Memorial ( approx. 6.5 miles away); Dedicated to the Veterans of 1898 -1902 ( approx. 6.6 miles away); Glynn County ( approx. 6.6 miles away); Glynn County War Memorial ( approx. 6.6 miles away); Colored Memorial School and Risley High School ( approx. 6.8 miles away); Sidney Lanier ( approx. 7.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brunswick.
 
Categories. Antebellum South, USChurches, Etc.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 15, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 15, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 793 times since then and 37 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on December 15, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement