Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Thalmann in Glynn County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Old Post Road

 
 
Old Post Road Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 29, 2006
1. Old Post Road Marker
Inscription. This road, formerly an Indian trail which paralleled the coast, was used by the Spanish and British. In 1778 it was traveled by Revolutionary soldiers who marched against Fort Tonyn. The first mail service south of Savannah was established over this road in 1763. Later it became a regular stagecoach route.

At Coleridge, a short distance north of the present Waycross Highway, Job Tyson maintained a tavern for travelers along the post road. It was the only hostel between the Altamaha and Satilla rivers and was a regular stagecoach stop.
 
Erected 1996 by Georgia Department of Natural Resources. (Marker Number 063-4B.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission, and the Postal Mail and Philately marker series.
 
Location. 31° 18.677′ N, 81° 43.962′ W. Marker is near Thalmann, Georgia, in Glynn County. Marker is at the intersection of Harrell Highway (Georgia Route 32) and Post Road, on the right when traveling west on Harrell Highway. Touch for map. The marker stands at the Glynn-Brantley County line. Marker is in this post office area: Brunswick GA 31523, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Union School (approx. 12.1 miles away); 1800 Emanuel United Methodist Church (approx. 12 miles away).
 
Categories. Colonial EraNative AmericansRoads & VehiclesWar, US Revolutionary
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 15, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 752 times since then and 37 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on December 15, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement