New Albany in Franklin County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Sylvester Ranney House
In 1846, the property was purchased for $1000 by Doctor Sylvester Ranney, who built his home and office at what is currently known as 9-11 South High Street, thus becoming one of the longest-standing structures in the village of New Albany. The original structure, which was situated next to a store on the south side, had two sections. The south section of the structure, located next to the store, was the doctor's office and the living quarters were on the north side.
In August of 1862, Dr. Sylvester Ranney who served in the Union Army as a Colonel in the war between the states, began purchasing the store and received the title after the final payment on April 8, 1865. On November 30, 1864, Dr. Ranney exercised his rights of ownership by planting two cherry trees in front of the store and then made extensive repairs in order to expand the store and his existing home and office into one structure.
Scarcely were the repairs completed when the building caught fire on July 7, 1865, and portions of the uninsured house burnt to the ground. The loss was estimated to be about $2,000. Even though
The northern portion of the building was used as the doctor's office and residence while the southern portion was used for patients who needed overnight care.
Three generations of the Ranney family have lived in this home 1856 until 1940: Dr. Sylvester Ranney and his first wife, Mary E. Campbell Ranney, and their son, Boivin; Dr. Ranney and his second wife, Mary B. Thompson Ranney; Boivin Ranney and his wife, Cordelia Strait Ranney and their three children, Jesse, William and Clark Ranney.
William Ranney, a bachelor, lived in the home until 1940. Upon his demise, the home sold to settle the estate. Since then, the building has been utilized as two apartments from 1940 until 1998 when it was purchased and remodeled into office space by Stephen B. Ogle & Associates.
The architecture of the Ranney House is a combination of early nineteenth century and Victorian which was probably as a result of the rebuilding process after the fire causing the two styles to be combined.
Erected by Stephen B. Ogle & Associates.
Location. 40° 4.948′ N, 82° 48.534′ W. Marker is in New Albany, Ohio, in Franklin County. Marker is at the intersection of High Street (Ohio Route 605) and Johnstown Road/Main Street (U.S. 62), on the right when traveling south on High Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 911 High Street, New Albany OH 43054, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Founders of New Albany (within shouting distance of this marker); New Albany and Plain Township Veterans and First Responders Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); George and Christina Ealy House and Land (approx. 0.6 miles away); Disposal of Land in Plain Township (approx. 0.7 miles away); Wagnor Cemetery (approx. 1.1 miles away); Archibald's Mill (approx. 1˝ miles away); Smith’s Burying Ground : Pioneer Cemetery (approx. 2.3 miles away); Central College Presbyterian Church (approx. 4.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Albany.
Categories. • Science & Medicine • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 15, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 691 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 15, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.