Angels Camp in Calaveras County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Home of the Jumping Frog
óRomance - Gold - History ó
Erected 1931. (Marker Number 287.)
Location. 38° 4.113′ N, 120° 32.365′ W. Marker is in Angels Camp, California, in Calaveras County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (State Highway 49) and State Highway 4, on the right when traveling south on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is located at the entrance to the parking lot for the retail store at the corner of Main Street (State Highway 49) and Finnegan Way. Marker is in this post office area: Angels Camp CA 95222, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Angels Hotel (a few steps from this marker); Independent Order of Odd Fellows Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Chinatown A. Brosemer Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Veterans Memorial Hall (about 500 feet away); Claussenís Corner (about 500 feet away); Mark Twain (approx. 0.3 miles away); Utica Mine North Shaft (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Angels Camp.
Regarding Angels Camp. This site has been designated as California Registered Historical Landmark No.287
Also see . . .
1. Short History of Angels Camp. (Submitted on December 15, 2008.)
2. Ghost Towns: Angels Camp. (Submitted on December 15, 2008.)
3. Angels Camp History. (Submitted on December 15, 2008.)
4. Wikipedia Entry for “The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County”. “Jim loves to gamble and will offer to bet on anything and everything, from horse races to dogfights, to the health of the local parsonís wife. He catches a frog, whom he names Dan'l Webster and for three months, trains it to jump. When a stranger visits the camp, Jim shows off Daníl and offers to (Submitted on February 24, 2018.)
1. Frog Jump Jubilee Commemorative Plaques
The Calaveras County Fair aka The Frog Jump Jubilee is held the third weekend in May. The main attraction of the fair is the annual frog jumping contest which is a tribute to the famous Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens) short story The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County..
The town of Angels Camp has installed bronze plaques in the sidewalks of Main Street to commemorate each yearís winners.
— Submitted May 24, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.
Additional keywords. Gold Rush
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Landmarks • Natural Resources • Notable Buildings • Notable Events • Notable Persons • Notable Places • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on February 24, 2018. This page originally submitted on December 15, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 2,857 times since then and 56 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 15, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. 6. submitted on May 24, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. 7. submitted on April 4, 2009. 8. submitted on February 23, 2009. 9, 10, 11. submitted on May 24, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.