Winnsboro in Fairfield County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Fairﬁeld Institute / Kelly Miller
This grade school and normal institute for blacks was founded in 1869 during Reconstruction by the Northern Presbyterian Church. The Reverend Willard Richardson was principal. In 1880, one-hundred of its students were studying to be teachers and twenty others to enter the ministry. The school closed in 1888 to merge with Brainerd Institute in Chester. The site is located one block west.
[Kelly Miller Side]
Born in Fairfield County, this renowned black educator attended Fairfield Institute, 1878-1880, and won a scholarship to Howard University, from which he graduated in 1886. After graduate work at Johns Hopkins, Miller received his A.M. and L.L.D. degrees (1901 and 1903) and was for many years professor and dean at Howard. His writings on race problems were widely read and used in major universities.
Erected 1985 by Fairfield County Historical Society. (Marker Number 20-16.)
Location. 34° 13.514′ N, 81° 3.058′ W. Marker is in Winnsboro, South Carolina, in Fairfield County. Marker is on Congress Street 0.1 miles north of Palmer Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Winnsboro SC 29180, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. St. Paul Baptist Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Sandy Level Baptist Church (approx. 3.6 miles away); Bethel Baptist Church (approx. 4.2 miles away); George P. Hoffman House (approx. 4.6 miles away); Sandfield Baptist Church / Sandfield Cemetery (approx. 6.4 miles away); Thomas Woodward (approx. 7.4 miles away); Confederate Headquarters (approx. 7.6 miles away); Killian Road Baptist Church Cemetery Confederate Soldiers Monument (approx. 8½ miles away).
Also see . . . Kelly Miller. (Submitted on December 15, 2008, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina.)
Categories. • African Americans • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 15, 2008, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 2,384 times since then and 106 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 15, 2008, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. • Christopher Busta-Peck was the editor who published this page.