Millwood in Clarke County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Clark County / Fauquier County
(west-facing side) Fauquier County. Area 666 square miles • Formed in 1759 from Prince William, and named for Francis Fauquier, governor of Virginia, 1758-1768. Chief Justice John Marshall was born in this county.
Erected 1928 by Conservation & Development Commission. (Marker Number Z-120.)
Location. 39° 0.829′ N, 77° 57.797′ W. Marker is in Millwood, Virginia, in Clarke County. Marker is on John Mosby Highway (U.S. 50), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Millwood VA 22646, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ashby’s Gap (approx. 0.3 miles away); Signal Station (was approx. 0.3 miles away but has been reported missing. ); Jackson’s Bivouac (approx. 0.9 miles away); Mount Bleak Farm (approx. Mt. Carmel Fight (approx. 1.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Millwood.
More about this marker. Officially Clarke County is spelled with an ending “e.” This 1928 marker drops the “e” as the accepted spelling of George Rogers Clark’s name. Interestingly the markers on East-West roads (such as US 50 and 7) have dropped the “e”, while those on North-South roads have retained the “e”. Thanks to Mary Morris from the Clarke County Historical Association for the background information.
Also see . . . Why there is an “e” in Clarke. Clarke County Historical Association Proceedings provide some background information on the “e” in this PDF. Refer to page 142 (page 131 in the original). Thanks to Mary Morris of the Clarke County Historical Association. (Submitted on June 28, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • Notable Persons • Political Subdivisions •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 26, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,183 times since then and 23 times this year. Last updated on June 28, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 26, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.