Near Chancellorsville in Spotsylvania County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Battle of Chancellorsville
Erected 1927 by Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania Chapters UDC.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Battlefield Markers Association, and the United Daughters of the Confederacy marker series.
Location. Marker has been confirmed missing. It was located near 38° 18.51′ N, 77° 38.086′ W. Marker was near Chancellorsville, Virginia, in Spotsylvania County. Marker could be reached from the intersection of Germanna Highway (State Highway 3) and Ely, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. The bronze tablet was stolen on January 11, 1976. The vandals were never caught. The National Park Service removed the damaged base at a later date. Marker was in this post office area: Fredericksburg VA 22407, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Chancellorsville Home of Mrs. Sanford Chancellor (within shouting distance of this marker); Civilians in the Crossfire The Chancellor Slaves (within shouting distance of this marker); Climactic Struggle (within shouting distance of this marker); Lee's Greatest Triumph (within shouting distance of this marker); Chancellorsville (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Chancellorsville Intersection (about 300 feet away); a different marker also named Battle of Chancellorsville (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chancellorsville.
More about this marker. This was 1 of 5 U.D.C monuments dedicated on May 3, 1927, the 64th anniversary of the Battle of Chancellorsville. Over 1,500 spectators turned out for music, food, and a keynote speech by Douglas Southall Freeman.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 9, 2008, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,347 times since then and 38 times this year. Last updated on December 18, 2008, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 9, 2008, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.