College Park in Prince George's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Charles B. Calvert
Born August 20, 1808
Died May 12, 1864
"So soon as you give a professional and at the same time a liberal education to the farmer you at once arouse a professional pride to make his own the most honorable of all pursuits."
Extract from a letter of Charles B. Calvert to the public, June 30, 1852.
Erected 1914 by Maryland Agricultural College.
Location. 38° 58.993′ N, 76° 56.528′ W. Marker is in College Park, Maryland, in Prince George's County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Knox Road and Preinkert Drive. Touch for map. The marker is on the northeast end of Calvert Hall on the campus of the University of Maryland, College Park. It accessible to pedestrians, approximately 0.15 miles northeast of the Mowatt Lane Parking Garage which is at the corner of Knox Road and Preinkert Drive. Marker is in this post office area: College Park MD 20742, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Architectural History of the Maryland Agricultural College University of Maryland Memorial Chapel (about 600 feet away); Morrill Hall (about 700 feet away); Millard E. Tydings (about 800 feet away); Blair Lee III (approx. 0.2 miles away); "May Peace Prevail on Earth" (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Terrapin Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away); "The University of Maryland Is Deeply Rooted in History" (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in College Park.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
Also see . . . Charles Benedict Calvert. Prince George's County Hall of Fame #7 (Submitted on November 4, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
Additional keywords. University of Maryland, Charles Benedict Calvert.
Categories. • Agriculture • Education • Landmarks • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 22, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,004 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 22, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 3. submitted on November 4, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 4, 5. submitted on December 22, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.