Near Mitford in Fairfield County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
This camp ground, described by one journalist as "picturesque, rugged, simple, with an overhanging air of festivity," has hosted an annual camp meeting since 1876; slaves had worshipped here before the Civil War. The site was purchased in 1878 by trustees Carter Beaty, Charles Green, Jeff Gaither, Henry Hall, and John Hall. It was deeded to Camp Wellfair A.M.E. Zion Church in 1925.
The small wood-frame or cinder-block houses at Camp Welfare are typical of "tents" at church camp grounds. An early 20th century one-room school stood here until it closed in 1955. The site also includes Camp Wellfair A.M.E. Zion Church (built about 1930), an open-air arbor, and a cemetery. Camp Welfare was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1984.
Erected 2002 by Fairfield County Historical Society. (Marker Number 20-23.)
Location. 34° 17.676′ N, 80° 34.261′ W. Marker is near Mitford, South Carolina, in Fairfield County. Marker is on Camp Welfare Road 2½ miles south of Wateree Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Winnsboro SC 29180, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker Battle of Hobkirk's Hill (approx. 2½ miles away); Capt. Robert Kirkwood (1756-1791) (approx. 2.6 miles away); The American Army (approx. 2.6 miles away); The Battle of Hobkirk Hill (approx. 2.6 miles away); The British Army (approx. 2.6 miles away); A Daring Plan (approx. 2.6 miles away); Fruitless Victory (approx. 2.8 miles away); The British Attack (approx. 2.8 miles away).
Also see . . . South Carolina Department of Archives and History. (Submitted on December 16, 2008, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina.)
Categories. • African Americans • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 15, 2008, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,495 times since then and 21 times this year. Last updated on December 22, 2008, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 15, 2008, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16. submitted on December 16, 2008, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.