Smithfield in Johnston County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
—Carolinas Campaign —
(Preface):The Carolinas Campaign began on February 1, 1865, when Union Gen. William T. Sherman led his army north from Savannah, Georgia, after the “March to the Sea.” Sherman's objective was to join Gen. Ulysses S. Grant in Virginia to crush Gen. Robert E. Lee's Army of Northern Virginia. Scattered Confederate forces consolidated in North Carolina, the Confederacy's logistical lifeline, where Sherman defeated Gen. Joseph E. Johnston's last-ditch attack at Bentonville. After Sherman was reinforced at Goldsboro late in March, Johnston saw the futility of further resistance and surrendered on April 26, essentially ending the Civil War.
Hoping to deflect Union Gen. William T. Sherman's army from Goldsboro, Confederate Gen. Joseph E. Johnston attacked Sherman's Left Wing here on March 19, 1865, after finding it separated from the Right Wing, located several miles southeast. As the fighting intensified, Sherman led the Right Wing here in support. Johnston's forces, vastly outnumbered, withdrew to Smithfield on Marcy 21, and Sherman's army marched to Goldsboro.
You are standing at the William Hastings
After the Battle of Bentonville, Johnston reestablished his headquarters in Smithfield on March 25. Between then and April 10, while Johnston’s army regrouped and rested here, he continued to send dispatches to Lee in Virginia. On April 9, as Lee surrendered to Gen. Ulysses S. Grant at Appomattox Court House, Johnston issued orders for his men to march to Raleigh. The next day, the beleaguered and tattered Confederate army left Smithfield.
The Hastings house originally stood behind the Johnston County
“Horse racing now was the order of the day … Out in a large old field every day thousands of soldiers and civilians, with a sprinkling of the fair ladies of the surrounding country, would congregate to witness the excitement of the race course.” - Unidentified soldier in Johnston’s army during the occupation of Smithfield, March-April 1865
“Scarcely a bird is to be seen or heard – not a flower, not even a wildflower unlocks its fragrant store – no beautiful lawns through which to walk – no broad meadows – nothing to elicit admiration.” - Unidentified Tennessee soldier describing Smithfield after the Battle of Bentonville
Erected by North Carolina Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the North Carolina Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 35° 30.678′ N, 78° 20.984′ W. Marker is in Smithfield, North Carolina, in Johnston County. Marker is at the intersection of S Front Street and E Johnston Street, on the right when traveling south on S Front Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Smithfield NC 27577, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Town of Smithfield (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named The Town of Smithfield (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Edward W. Pou (about 400 feet away); Occupation of Smithfield (about 700 feet away); Sherman Receives News of Lee's Surrender in Smithfield (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sherman’s March (approx. 0.8 miles away); Federal Line of March (approx. 3.6 miles away); The Last Grand Review (approx. 4.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Smithfield.
More about this marker. The bottom center of the marker contains photographs of Gen. Johnston, Gen. Bragg and Gen. Sherman, Courtesy Library of Congress.
Also see . . . Civil War Traveler. North Carolina Civil War Trails. (Submitted on December 24, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 24, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,834 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 24, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.