Near Fargo in Clinch County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
10 mi. →
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 032-3.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 30° 40.524′ N, 82° 33.27′ W. Marker is near Fargo, Georgia, in Clinch County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 441 and Georgia Route 94, on the left when traveling south on U.S. 441. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fargo GA 31631, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within walking distance of this marker. Stephen Collins Foster (approx. 0.6 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. Okefenokee Swamp website. (Submitted on December 28, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.)
2. Okefenokee Swamp - Wikipedia entry. (Submitted on December 28, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.)
3. Cracker Farmhouses, 1840 - 1920. The Dog-Trot House: This familiar form of Cracker farmhouse has two pens separated by a central outdoor hall or breezeway. All parts are joined by a common room. A large shade porch spanned the front of the house, and additional porches and rooms, especially a kitchen, were sometimes added at the rear of the house. Chimneys were placed at each gable end of the house. The house was normally raised above grade and had large windows in each of the two front rooms, but lacked a front door. (Submitted on February 22, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Native Americans • Natural Features • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 24, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,557 times since then and 56 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on December 24, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 2, 3. submitted on February 12, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 4. submitted on February 22, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.