Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Richmond in Chesterfield County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Battle of Drewry’s Bluff

Drewry’s Bluff - 1862

 
 
Battle of Drewry’s Bluff Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, April 21, 2007
1. Battle of Drewry’s Bluff Marker
Inscription.
May 15, 1862
When Federal gunboats round the bend, they enter a shooting gallery. Confederate soldiers and marines along the riverbanks rake the decks with musket fire. These batteries, ninety feet above the water, are perched too high for ships’ guns to strike accurately.

Richmond, the Union target, is visible to your left – only seven miles upriver. But after four hours of fighting, the gunboats withdraw downstream – the last major naval threat to the Confederate capital.
 
Erected by Richmond National Battlefield Park, National Park Service.
 
Location. This marker has been replaced by another marker nearby. 37° 25.353′ N, 77° 25.362′ W. Marker is in Richmond, Virginia, in Chesterfield County. Marker can be reached from Fort Darling Road, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is located in the Drewry’s Bluff/Fort Darling unit of Richmond National Battlefield Park. Marker is in this post office area: Richmond VA 23237, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. "A Very Neat Chapel" (within shouting distance of this marker); A Permanent Post (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Darling
Marker at Drewry’s Bluff image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, April 21, 2007
2. Marker at Drewry’s Bluff
The James River can be seen in the photo behind the marker. Gunboats approaching Richmond by this route could not fire high enough to target the guns of Dreyry's Bluff.
(within shouting distance of this marker); Hot Shot and Wooden Ships (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The USS Monitor (about 300 feet away); Drewry’s Bluff (about 300 feet away); A Perfect Gibraltar (about 300 feet away); Duty Above and Beyond (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Richmond.
 
More about this marker. The right side of the marker features a picture of Confederate gunners manning one of the cannons at Drewry’s Bluff. The upper left of the marker contains a cross-section of the Union ironclad Monitor, one of the gunboats that participated in the May 15, 1862 encounter.
 
Regarding Battle of Drewry’s Bluff. This marker was replaced by a new one named May 15, 1862—The Battle of Drewry's Bluff (see nearby markers).
 
Also see . . .
1. Richmond National Battlefield Park. National Park Service website. (Submitted on December 31, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.) 

2. Battle of Drewry’s Bluff, 15 May 1862. American
Cannon at Drewry’s Bluff image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, April 21, 2007
3. Cannon at Drewry’s Bluff
Cannon positioned here at Drewry’s Bluff, overlooking the James River, protected Richmond from a Union naval attack.
Civil War website. (Submitted on December 31, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.) 
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
Richmond National Battlefield Park image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, April 21, 2007
4. Richmond National Battlefield Park
Marker is located in the Drewry’s Bluff unit of the Richmond National Battlefield Park.
Cross-section of the USS Monitor image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, April 21, 2007
5. Cross-section of the USS Monitor
The USS Monitor was one of the gunboats that were turned away from their May 15, 1862 approach to Richmond by the guns at Drewry's Bluff.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 31, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 882 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 31, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.
Paid Advertisement