Chester in Delaware County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
1644 - 1718
in "Essex House" on this site
October 28, 1682
the guest of
Here the earliest Quaker settler
on this side Delaware River, 1676,
purchaser of the property,
then called "Printzdorp,"
from the earlier occupant,
Armecot, widow of Johan Papegoia,
Vice Governor of New Sweden, 1653-1654
succeeding to ownership
from her father, Johan Printz,
the Swedish first Governor, 1643-1653, in present Pennsylvania.
Erected 1932 by The Pennsylvania Historical Commission and the Delaware County Historical Society.
Location. 39° 50.6′ N, 75° 21.666′ W. Marker is in Chester, Pennsylvania, in Delaware County. Marker is at the intersection of Penn St. and Front Street, on the left on Penn St.. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Chester PA 19013, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Penn Landing (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Delaware County, Where Pennsylvania Began (about 300 feet away); Christofer Columbus (approx. 0.3 miles away); John Morton (approx. 0.3 miles away); Old Swedish Burial Ground (approx. 0.3 miles away); Washington House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Colonial Courthouse (approx. 0.3 miles away); Chester Fire Department (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chester.
Also see . . . William Penn at FindAGrave.com. (Submitted on July 19, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Notable Events • Notable Persons • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 2, 2009, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 871 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 2, 2009, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.