Roanoke, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The first village here, at Pate's Mill and Tavern on Evans' Mill Creek, was called Big Lick for nearby salt marshes. In 1839 it was laid off as the town of Gainesborough. After the coming of the Virginia and Tennessee Railroad (later N.&W.) in 1852, another village sprang up about the old Stover House that was also named Big Lick. Gainesborough became known as Old Lick.
In June, 1864, General Hunter passed here retreating from Lynchburg. In 1874 Big Lick was incorporated. In 1881, with the junction of the new Shenandoah Valley Railroad with the N.& W., rapid growth began. In 1882 the name was changed to Roanoke; in 1884 it was incorporated as a city. In 1909 the Virginian Railroad operated its first train. In recent years Roanoke became the third city of Virginia.
Erected 1941 by Virginia Conservation Commission. (Marker Number K-95.)
Location. 37° 16.053′ N, 79° 56.439′ W. Marker is in Roanoke, Virginia. Marker is on Jefferson Street just south of Day Avenue. Touch for map. In front of the Roanoke Public Library. Marker is at or near this postal address: 706 S Jefferson St., Roanoke VA 24011, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within Frederick J. Kimball Memorial Fountain (approx. ¼ mile away); Roanoke City Market (approx. 0.3 miles away); Colonial National Bank Building (approx. 0.3 miles away); Hotel Roanoke (approx. 0.4 miles away); First Train to Big Lick (approx. 0.4 miles away); Norfolk and Western Passenger Station (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Market Square Walkway (approx. 0.4 miles away); Roanoke - A Railroad Town (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Roanoke.
Categories. • Political Subdivisions • Railroads & Streetcars • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 2, 2009, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 931 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 2, 2009, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.