Ludowici in Long County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
[ Georgia State Seal ]
Erected 1941 by Long County Garden Club.
Location. 31° 40.708′ N, 81° 48.98′ W. Marker is in Ludowici, Georgia, in Long County. Marker is at the intersection of Savannah Highway (U.S. 25/301) and Fishing Road, on the left when traveling east on Savannah Highway. Touch for map. Located about a mile east of the bridge over the Altamaha River, just before the turn in to a quarry. Marker is in this post office area: Ludowici GA 31316, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within The Defense of the Altamaha Bridge (a few steps from this marker); Doctortown (approx. 2.2 miles away); Historic Roads And Indian Trails (approx. 4.7 miles away); Long County Timeline Mural (approx. 4.8 miles away); Long County (approx. 4.8 miles away); Jones Creek Baptist Church (approx. 5˝ miles away); Wayne County Revolutionary War Memorial (approx. 6.4 miles away); Wayne County (approx. 6.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ludowici.
Also see . . .
1. Franklinia Altamaha. It has been extinct in the wild since ca. 1803 but survives as a cultivated ornamental tree. (Submitted on January 6, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
2. The Franklinia Story. Bartrams Garden (Submitted on January 6, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Horticulture & Forestry •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 6, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,834 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 6, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.