Richmond in Henrico County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Fort Johnson - 1864
The test came on September 29, 1864. That morning Federal troops captured nearby Fort Harrison, then turned their attention to Fort Johnson. From here Confederate gunners opened fire at the massing blue lines. Just before the Union soldiers reached the fort, about 200 Georgia infantrymen arrived to reinforce Fort Johnsonís artillerists.
In the desperate fighting the outnumbered Confederate defenders prevented any Union soldiers from getting over the wall and captured nearly 150 Pennsylvanians who were trapped in the fortís ditch. Fort Johnson remained in Confederate hands until its evacuation on April 2, 1865.
Erected by Richmond National Battlefield Park - National Park Service.
Location. This marker has been replaced by another marker nearby. 37° 26.142′ N, 77° 22.64′ W. Marker is in Richmond, Virginia, in Henrico County. Marker is on Battlefield Park Road, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in the Fort
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Fort Johnson (a few steps from this marker); Fort Harrison (approx. half a mile away); Richmond Defences (approx. 0.6 miles away); Freedom Fighters (approx. 0.6 miles away); First Park Headquarters (approx. 0.6 miles away); a different marker also named First Park Headquarters (approx. 0.6 miles away); Fort Harrison Trail (approx. 0.6 miles away); Confederate Counterattack (approx. 0.6 miles away).
More about this marker. The right of the marker contains a war-time photograph of the earthworks, with the caption “Note the person standing in the ditch in this 1865 photograph of Fort Johnson.”
Regarding Confederate Bulwark. This marker was replaced by a new one named Fort Johnson (See nearby markers).
Also see . . . Battlefield Tour - Ft Gilmer to Ft Brady. Richmond National Battlefield Park website. (Submitted on January 6, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 6, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 789 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 6, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.