Salem, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The following is the total number of innocent people that perished in each tragedy on 9/11.
World Trade Center, New York, NY 2,645
American Airlines Flight 11, New York, NY 87
United Flight 175, New York NY 60
Pentagon, Washing, DC 125
American Airlines Flight 77, Washington, DC 59
United Flight 93, Pennsylvania Field 40
Three men on United Flight 93 led the other passengers heroically in an unarmed attack against the terrorist and forced the flight to crash in a field in Pennsylvania, giving their lives while saving thousands in Washington, DC.
There were many heroic actions that fateful day. The New York City Firefighters, Emergency Medical Services personnel and Police Officers displayed extraordinary valor and the following gave their lives trying to
Firefighters and 343
Emergency Medical Services
Police Officers 50
Other Emergency Responders 10
Psalms 91.1 – 16 is remarkable, because its content, praise and psalms number is so appropriate.
91.1 He who dwelleth in the secret place of the Most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
2. I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress, my God; in him will I trust.
3. Surely he shall deliver thee from the snare of the fowler, and from the noisome pestilence.
4. He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust; his truth shall be thy shield and buckler.
5. Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night, nor for the arrow that flieth by day,
6. Nor for the pestilence that walketh in darkness, nor for the destruction that wasteth at noonday.
7. A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand, but it shall not come near thee.
8. Only with thine eyes shalt thou behold and see the reward of the wicked.
9. Because thou hast made the Lord, who is my refuge, even the most High, thy habitation
10. There shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come near they dwelling.
13. Thou shalt tread upon the lion and adder; the young lion and the serpent shalt thou trample under feet.
14. Because he hath set his love upon me, therefore will I deliver him; I will set him on high, because he hath known my name.
15. He shall call upon me, and I will answer him. I will be with him in trouble; I will deliver him, and honor him.
16. With long life will I satisfy him, and show him my salvation.
We humbly offer this prayer that God has taken all these innocent souls into His care, and that God will continue to bless this wonderful country. We also ask that that through His grace we shall all, by example of love and charity, be a light to the world.
Chairman: J. Fletcher Smoak
Directors: Frank T. Ellett • Unal Gogus • Riza Isik • Ugur Isik • T. Christopher Moore • Louis D. Showalter
CFO: John Smoak
Erected 2003 by Old Virginia Brick Company’s employees, officers and directors.
Location. 37° 17.055′ N, 80° 6.055′ W. Marker is in Salem, Virginia. Marker is on West Main Street (Route 11/460) 0.3 miles west of Texas Hollow Road (Virginia Route 641), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2500 W Main St., Salem VA 24153, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Roanoke College (approx. 0.6 miles away); Colonial Mansion Site (approx. 1.2 miles away); Fort Lewis (approx. 1.2 miles away); Roanoke County Confederate Monument (approx. 2.6 miles away); World War 1917 - 1919 Memorial (approx. 2.6 miles away); East Hill Cemetery North (approx. 2.9 miles away); Sgt. James Walton (approx. 2.9 miles away); Andrew Lewis’ Grave (approx. 2.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Salem.
Additional keywords. Global War on Terrorism GWOT
Categories. • Heroes •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 6, 2009, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 981 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 6, 2009, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.