Savannah in Chatham County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
in the United States.
Built by the eminent architect Jay
Opened Dec.4, 1818 with the Comedy
and a Farce
"Raising The Wind"
Within these walls have played
the greatest dramatic and operatic stars
of the world
and re-opened October 21, 1950
Erected by The Bonatenture Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
Location. 32° 4.551′ N, 81° 5.554′ W. Marker is in Savannah, Georgia, in Chatham County. Marker is on Bull Street near E. Hull Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. At Chippewa Square, between E. Hull and McDonough Streets. Marker is in this post office area: Savannah GA 31401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. James Edward Oglethorpe (within shouting distance of this marker); Dr. Wm. A. Caruthers (1802-46) (within shouting distance of this marker); Independent Presbyterian Church Original Presbyterian Meeting House (about 300 feet away); Lowell Mason 1792- 1872 (about 300 feet away); Birthplace of Juliette Low (about 300 feet away); First Baptist Church (about 400 feet away); "Tyrants Fall In Every Foe Liberty's In Every Blow" (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Savannah.
Regarding Savannah Theatre. The Savannah Theatre
Built by eminent architect William Jay, the Savannah Theatre is the nationís oldest theater in continuing operation. After debuting in 1818 with a comedy production, Soldiers Daughter, and a farce, Raising the Wind, the theater was granted a perpetual charter in 1838. It has burned several times over the years, but has been rebuilt and reopened successfully each time, including a conversion for motion picture presentations, and parts of the rear wall still contain bricks and foundation of the 1818 theatre. A prime example of the 1940s Art Deco movie venues, the 452-seat theatre, long held by the Weis family, was sold in 1981 to The Little Theatre of Savannah, now operating as The Savannah
Also see . . . William Jay and the Savannah Theatre. (Submitted on January 9, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Entertainment • Landmarks • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 9, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,657 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 9, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.