Sonoma in Sonoma County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Erected 1982 by Native Sons of the Golden West, June 13, 1982.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
Location. 38° 17.622′ N, 122° 27.415′ W. Marker is in Sonoma, California, in Sonoma County. Touch for map. Marker is mounted on the front of the building. The site ls located across from the Sonoma Plaza. Marker is at or near this postal address: 20 East Spain Street, Sonoma CA 95476, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sonoma Barracks (within shouting distance of this marker); Servants Quarters (within shouting distance of this marker); Raising of the Bear Flag Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); The End of the Mission Trail (within shouting distance of this marker); Mission San Francisco Solano Sacred Ground (within shouting distance of this marker); The Sonoma Cheese Factory (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mission San Francisco Solano (about 300 feet away); Swiss Hotel (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sonoma.
Also see . . .
1. The Toscano Hotel. Built in 1851, the building now known as the Toscano Hotel is the oldest commercial wood-frame structure in Sonoma and has a colorful history. In its early years, the building served many different purposes including warehouse, general store, and lending library. In 1886 an Italian immigrant from Tuscany, Settimo Cuicci and his partner, L. Quartaroli, rented the building and turned it into a working man's hotel (the Toscano, which means-man from Tuscany) to accommodate Italian immigrants who were hired to quarry basalt out of the hills behind the hotel. The basalt blocks were (Submitted on January 13, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.)
2. The Toscano Hotel. (Submitted on January 13, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.)
1. Nathansonís General Store (Toscano Hotel)
This large, two-story wood frame building is of early California style and features overhanging second story open balcony with simple Greek Revival details. The building has considerably altered by the Dept. of Parks and Recreation, which now owns it.
Originally built by Mrs. Dorothea Nathanson as a general store and lending library with materials from the saw mill that was set up for the local Methodist Church that was then being built. It was bought by C.F. Leiding in 1867 and later housed several types of businesses before becoming the Toscano Hotel in 1886. Toscano means “man from Tuscany,” the northern Italian province from whence the proprietors, Ciucci and Quartaroli came. The last owner of the hotel was Mrs. Amelia Ciucci Walton who sold it to the State in 1957; restoration began in 1967. In 1972, the Sonoma League for Historic Preservation provided furnishings for the building and established an on-going interpretative docent program
— Submitted January 13, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.
Categories. • Notable Buildings • Notable Places • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 13, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 1,037 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on January 13, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.