Cassville in Bartow County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Historic McKelvey House
Polk's HQRS.-May 19, 1864
Marker erected 1948
By Patriots Of Bartow County
Inscription by Col. Thomas Spencer
Erected 1948 by Patriots Of Bartow County.
Location. 34° 13.595′ N, 84° 50.719′ W. Marker is in Cassville, Georgia, in Bartow County. Marker can be reached from Mac Johnson Rd. NW, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. This marker is located on private property. Marker is in this post office area: Cassville GA 30123, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Gen. Leonidas Polk's Headquarters (a few steps from this marker); Atlanta Campaign (approx. ¾ mile away); Affair at Cassville (approx. ¾ mile away); Confederate Line (approx. 0.9 miles away); Site - Cherokee Baptist College (approx. 1.6 miles away); Noble Hill Rosenwald School Site of Cassville (approx. 1.6 miles away); Town Of Cassville (approx. 1.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cassville.
More about this marker. The marker is barely visible during winter when the leaves have fallen from the underbrush. It was spotted at the base of a tree, while trying to get a clear picture of the Gen. Leonidas Polk's Headquarters, Georgia state historic marker #008-38
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
Also see . . . Cassville Historical Society. History of Cassville & History of the Cassville Heritage Association. You can read more on the McKelvey House and conference, and about the battle. (Submitted on January 19, 2009, by David Tibbs of Resaca, Georgia.)
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 19, 2009, by David Tibbs of Resaca, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,889 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 19, 2009, by David Tibbs of Resaca, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.