Athens in Athens County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Manasseh Cutler, Rufus Putnam, Winthrop Sargeant, and Benjamin Tupper of the Ohio Company conceived Ohio University, which was encouraged by the Ordinance of 1787 and the Northwest Territorial Legislature in 1799, incorporated as the American Western University in 1802, and chartered by the Ohio State Legislature on February 18, 1804. The university is the first institution of higher learning in the Northwest Territory, second west of the Allegheny Mountains, and the first in the United States to be endowed with land by the government with proceeds used to pay for its operations-revenue from two townships was set aside to support the university. Opened on June 1, 1809, as an academy with three students, Ohio University awarded its first undergraduate degrees in 1815.
“Religion, morality, and knowledge, being necessary to good government and the happiness of mankind, schools and the means of education shall forever be encouraged.” The Ordinance of 1787, Article III
“Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of Ohio, that there shall be an University instituted
Thomas Ewing and John Hunter, Class of 1815, earned the first college degrees in the Northwest Territory.
Cutler Hall, built between 1816-1819, is the oldest building dedicated to higher education in the Northwest Territory and is on the National Register of Historic Places.
Erected 2003 by The Ohio Bicentennial Commission, The International Paper Company Foundation, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 4-5.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 39° 19.646′ N, 82° 6.061′ W. Marker is in Athens, Ohio, in Athens County. Marker is at the intersection of Union Street and Court Street, on the right when traveling east on Union Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Athens OH 45701, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ohio University 1915 Alumni Gateway (a few steps from this marker); Student Voices (within shouting distance of this marker); Athens County Civil War Soldiers and Sailors Memorial The Kissing Circle (within shouting distance of this marker); Bicentennial of the Northwest Ordinance (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Elms (about 300 feet away); Ohio University's Distinguished Visitors (about 500 feet away); Memorial Auditorium (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Athens.
Also see . . .
1. Ohio University - Ohio History Central. (Submitted on March 31, 2009, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio.)
2. Ohio University website. (Submitted on March 31, 2009, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio.)
Categories. • Arts, Letters, Music • Education • Government • Notable Buildings • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 22, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,253 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 22, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. 3. submitted on January 23, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.