Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Ferndale in Humboldt County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Ferndale

 
 
Ferndale Marker image. Click for full size.
By Karen Key, May 28, 2007
1. Ferndale Marker
Inscription. This pioneer agricultural community, settled in 1852, helped feed the booming population of mid-century San Francisco. Long known as “Cream City,” Ferndale made innovative and lasting contributions to the dairy industry. Local creameries, and the town’s role as a transportation and shipping center in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, fostered prosperity which produced Ferndale’s outstanding Victorian-Gothic residential and false-front commercial architecture.

California Registered Historical Landmark No. 883

Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the Ferndale Chamber of Commerce Historical Committee and community effort. September 12, 1976.

 
Erected 1976 by State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the Ferndale Chamber of Commerce Historical Committee. (Marker Number 883.)
 
Location. 40° 34.851′ N, 124° 15.593′ W. Marker is in Ferndale, California, in Humboldt County. Marker is at the intersection of Highway 211 and Herbert Street, on the left when traveling south on Highway 211. Touch for map. Plaque is located in Ferndale City Hall Park. Marker is in this post office area: Ferndale CA 95536, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
Ferndale Marker image. Click for full size.
By Karen Key, May 28, 2007
2. Ferndale Marker
At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Gazebo (approx. 0.3 miles away); Blackburn Law Office (approx. 0.3 miles away); "Poppa Joe's" (approx. 0.4 miles away); Ferndale Meat Market (approx. 0.4 miles away); Our Centennial (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ferndale.
 
Also see . . .  The Victorian Village of Ferndale, California. (Submitted on July 5, 2007, by Karen Key of Sacramento, California.)
 
Categories. AgricultureIndustry & CommerceNotable BuildingsSettlements & Settlers
 
Ferndale Marker - Wide View image. Click for full size.
April 28, 2013
3. Ferndale Marker - Wide View
Ferndale image. Click for full size.
By Karen Key, May 28, 2007
4. Ferndale
Some of Ferndale's architecture.
The First California Central Creamery, Built 1904 (1400 Main Street) image. Click for full size.
April 28, 2013
5. The First California Central Creamery, Built 1904 (1400 Main Street)
The first motorized milk tank truck in America was in use here in 1914.
The Gingerbread Mansion B&B, Built 1895 (400 Berding Street) image. Click for full size.
April 28, 2013
6. The Gingerbread Mansion B&B, Built 1895 (400 Berding Street)
Church of the Assumption (546 Berding Street) image. Click for full size.
April 28, 2013
7. Church of the Assumption (546 Berding Street)
Danish Hall, Built Late 1800's (460 Ocean Avenue) image. Click for full size.
April 28, 2013
8. Danish Hall, Built Late 1800's (460 Ocean Avenue)
The Victorian Inn/Russ Building, Built 1891 (400 Ocean Avenue) image. Click for full size.
April 28, 2013
9. The Victorian Inn/Russ Building, Built 1891 (400 Ocean Avenue)
Ferndale Masonic Hall, Built 1891 (212 Francis Street) image. Click for full size.
April 28, 2013
10. Ferndale Masonic Hall, Built 1891 (212 Francis Street)
The Palace Saloon, Built 1890 (353 Main Street) image. Click for full size.
April 28, 2013
11. The Palace Saloon, Built 1890 (353 Main Street)
The historical marker on the building indicates that this is the westernmost bar in the continental United States. It is not.
Ferndale Meat Market, Built 1881 Main Street (376 Main Street) image. Click for full size.
April 28, 2013
12. Ferndale Meat Market, Built 1881 Main Street (376 Main Street)
The location has been a meat market since 1881.
The Gazebo, Built 1898 (475 Main Street) image. Click for full size.
April 28, 2013
13. The Gazebo, Built 1898 (475 Main Street)
The Ivanhoe Hotel, Built 1870 (315 Main Street) and Portugese Hall, Built 1879 image. Click for full size.
April 28, 2013
14. The Ivanhoe Hotel, Built 1870 (315 Main Street) and Portugese Hall, Built 1879
The Ivanhoe is the oldest surviving building in the Ferndale Historic District, and was featured in the Jim Carrey movie, The Majestic. The building's historical marker indicates that the hotel is "...the oldest, most westerly hotel in the continental United States." It is neither.
300 Block of Main Street (Looking North) image. Click for full size.
April 28, 2013
15. 300 Block of Main Street (Looking North)
Ferndale Town Hall image. Click for full size.
By James King, February 8, 2014
16. Ferndale Town Hall
The Town Hall sits at one end of the park that the marker is in.
Ferndale Town Hall Plaque image. Click for full size.
By James King, February 8, 2014
17. Ferndale Town Hall Plaque
This building presented
to the
City of Ferndal
by the
Village Club - Organized 1906
Charter Members
Mrs. S.G. Aggeler • Mrs. W.B. Alford • Mrs. M.C. De Carli • Mrs. D.A. Francis • Miss Elizabeth Fulmor • Miss Frances Hart • Mrs. E.M. Loveland • Mrs. L.H. Miner • Mrs. C.A. Monroe • Mrs. A. Putnam • Mrs. W.H. Robarts • Mrs. Robert Roberts • Mrs. J.A. Shaw • Mrs. James Smith • Miss Grace Smith • Mrs. Georgia Russ Williams
Dedicated to the service of the people of California
by the
Native Sons of the Golden West
Joseph B. Perez - Grand President
May 27, 1967
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 5, 2007, by Karen Key of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 1,594 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 5, 2007, by Karen Key of Sacramento, California.   3. submitted on May 8, 2013.   4. submitted on July 5, 2007, by Karen Key of Sacramento, California.   5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13. submitted on May 8, 2013.   14, 15. submitted on May 9, 2013.   16, 17. submitted on February 22, 2014, by James King of San Miguel, California. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement