Salt Lake City in Salt Lake County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
20th Ward Meetinghouse
When the present site was purchased, Lewis Telle Cannon and ward member John Fetzer, partners in one of Salt Lake's leading architectural firms, were hired to plan the new building. Designed in the Neoclassical style, it also exhibits Renaissance Mannerist influences, particularly in the double gable, discontinuous cornice, and Palladian style entry. The ground was dedicated and the cornerstone was laid on 18 May 1924 by LDS Apostle James E. Talmage, a ward member. The first use commenced 21 September 1924. The building was dedicated by LDS Church President Heber J. Grant on 17 April 1927. Over the years several compatible additions have been made to the basic L-shaped building. In 1914 the largest addition was completed on the southeast corner, creating a new entry and several classrooms. The stained glass windows were added to the chapel in the mid 1970s.
Erected 1992 by Utah State Historical Society.
Location. 40° Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 489 E 2nd Avenue, Salt Lake City UT 84107, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Twentieth Ward School (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Presbyterian Church Salt Lake City (approx. 0.3 miles away); Cathedral of the Madeleine (approx. 0.4 miles away); Grave of Brigham Young (approx. 0.6 miles away); Lincoln Arms Apartments (approx. 0.6 miles away); St. Mark's Episcopal Cathedral (approx. 0.6 miles away); Hollywood Apartments (approx. 0.6 miles away); B'nai Israel Temple (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Salt Lake City.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 25, 2007, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,740 times since then and 2 times this year. Last updated on July 5, 2007, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 25, 2007, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.