Near Williamsburg in James City County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The First General Assembly of Virginia
The First General Assembly
on the thirtieth day of July A.D. 1916.
Summoned by Sir George Yeardley,
Governor General of Virginia,
under authority from the London Company, pursuant to the charter granted by King James I, was convened in the church at Jamestown the First General Assembly of Virginia.
This Assembly, composed of the Governor, the Council of State, and two Burgesses elected by the people from each of the eleven plantations was the beginning of representative government in the colonies of England and laid the foundation of the liberties of America.
Back of Monument:
in honour of
Sir George Yeardley, Governor General,
Sir Edwin Sandys,
Treasurer of the London Company,
Henry, Earl of Southampton, his successor,
for their distinguished services in obtaining for
the Colony of Virginia
the Ordinance and Constitution of Government
dated November 18, 1618,
under authority whereof the First
General Assembly of Virginia
was here held
July 30, 1619.
Dedicated by the
Association for the Preservation of Virginia
July 30, 1907
Left Side of Monument:
The Councell of Estate, Capt. Francis West, Master John
Captain William Powell, Ensigne William Spense.
For Charles City
Samuel Sharpe, Samuel Jordan
For the City of Henricus
Thomas Dowse, John Polentine
Captain William Tucker, William Capp
For Martin Brandon Capt. John Martinís Plantation
Mr. Thomas Davis, Mr. Robert Stacy
For Smytheís Hundred
Capt. Thomas Graves, Mr. Walter Shelley
For Martinís Hundred
Mr. John Boys, John Jackson
For Argallís Guifte
Mr. Pawlett, Mr. Gourgainy
For Flowerdieu Hundred
Ensigne Rossingham, Mr. Jefferson
For Captaine Lawtieís Plantation
Captaine Christopher Lawne
”Sir George Yeardley, the Governor, being sett downe in his accustomed place, those of the Counsel of Estate sat next to him on both handes, excepte onely the secretary, then appointed Speaker who sat right before him, and forasmuch as menís affaires doe little prosper where Godís service is neglected, all the Burgesses tooke their places in the quire till a prayer was said by Mr. Bucke, the minister, that it would please God to guide and to sanctifie all our proceedings to His owne glory and to the good of his plantation.”
Location. 37° 12.495′ N, 76° 46.7′ W. Marker is near Williamsburg, Virginia, in James City County. Marker can be reached from Colonial Parkway, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in the "Old Towne" section of the Historic Jamestown unit of Colonial National Historic Park. Marker is in this post office area: Williamsburg VA 23185, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Barracks (here, next to this marker); The Tombs of James and Sarah Blair (a few steps from this marker); The Tombstones (within shouting distance of this marker); Palisades (within shouting distance of this marker); Captain John Smith (within shouting distance of this marker); The Greate Road – An Early Highway pre-1607-1700s (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Captain John Smith (within shouting distance of this marker); Jamestownís Churches (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Williamsburg.
Also see . . .
1. Historic Jamestowne. Colonial National Historic Park from National Park Service website. (Submitted on January 30, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
2. Historic Jamestowne. Historic Jamestowne is the site of the first permanent English settlement in America. The site is jointly administered by APVA Preservation Virginia and the National Park Service. (Submitted on January 30, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Government •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 1, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 30, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,237 times since then and 72 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on January 30, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.