Tampa in Hillsborough County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Teco Energy's Tampa Electric Company
Organized October 1899
At the dawn of th 20th Century, Tampa Electric Company promoted such conveniences as electric lights and fans, and over more than 20 miles of track connecting Tampa, Ybor City and Ballast Point.
Modern downtown offices were opened in 1914 at the corner of Cass and Tampa Street. At the end of the century, Tampa Electric and parent company TECO Energy employed more than 5,000 men and women in six states and South America. In its first 100 years, TECO Energy became a major diversified energy company, providing reliable energy services to customers around the state, the nation and the world.
Erected by In cooperation with the Tampa Historical Society.
Location. 27° 57.003′ N, 82° 27.544′ W. Marker is in Tampa, Florida, in Hillsborough County. Marker is on North Franklin Street Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tampa FL 33602, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Tampa Theatre ( within shouting distance of this marker); Federal Building ( about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sacred Heart Church ( about 600 feet away); Courthouse Square ( about 700 feet away); First Lt. Baldomero Lopez ( approx. 0.2 miles away); St. Andrew's Episcopal Church ( approx. 0.2 miles away); The Salvation Army ( approx. 0.2 miles away); Tampa's First Paved Sidewalk ( approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tampa.
Also see . . . TECO Energy. (Submitted on February 1, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 1, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,870 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 1, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 5. submitted on August 4, 2010, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.