Washington in Washington County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Fraternity of Phi Gamma Delta
Ellis Bailey Gregg
John Templeton McCarty
Samuel Beatty Wilson
Erected 1949 by The Fraternity of Phi Gamma Delta.
Location. 40° 10.243′ N, 80° 14.563′ W. Marker is in Washington, Pennsylvania, in Washington County. Marker is on South College Street (U.S. 19) south of East Beau Street (Pennsylvania Route 136), on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is on the gatepost. Marker is in this post office area: Washington PA 15301, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Washington and Jefferson College (here, next to this marker); Gamma Chapter of Beta Theta Pi (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Washington and Jefferson College (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Jesse William Lazear (about 600 feet away); Rebecca Harding Davis (about 800 feet away); Washington County (about 800 feet away); Captain Philo McGiffin (about 800 feet away); "Declaration & Address" (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Washington.
More about this marker.
Regarding The Fraternity of Phi Gamma Delta. Jefferson College was located in Canonsburg when the fraternity was founded. It was combined with Washington College in 1865 and moved to Washington College's campus here in Washington, where this marker is located, in 1869.
Also see . . . The Archives - The History of Phi Gamma Delta. (Submitted on April 16, 2006.)
Additional keywords. Founders Memorial Gateway
Categories. • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 16, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,484 times since then and 10 times this year. Last updated on February 9, 2009, by Towner Blackstock of Charlotte, North Carolina. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 16, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.