Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Niles in Berrien County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Second Baptist Church

 
 
Second Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By M. Bowyer, July 10, 2007
1. Second Baptist Church Marker
Inscription. In 1851 the Reverends J.W. Hackley and D.G. Lett organized the Second Baptist Church under the Anti-Slavery Baptist Association. The first of four churches—a log building—was erected on the southeast corner of Sixth and Ferry streets. In 1872 the building was moved to the northeast corner, where the present church stands. During the construction of the third church in 1950–51 the congregation was renamed the Mount Calvary Baptist Church. In 1971 a new sanctuary was added to the structure.
 
Erected 1994. (Marker Number L1902.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
 
Location. 41° 49.906′ N, 86° 15.143′ W. Marker is in Niles, Michigan, in Berrien County. Marker is on Ferry Street near North 5th Street (Michigan Highway 51). Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 601 Ferry St., Niles MI 49120, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ferry Street School (a few steps from this marker); The Chapin House / Henry Austin Chapin (approx. 0.2 miles away); U.S.S. Maine Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles
Second Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By M. Bowyer, July 10, 2007
2. Second Baptist Church Marker
away); Four Flags Hotel (approx. 0.2 miles away); Wesley United Methodist Church (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Niles.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
Second Baptist Church image. Click for full size.
By M. Bowyer, July 10, 2007
3. Second Baptist Church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 10, 2007, by M. Bowyer of Indianapolis, Indiana. This page has been viewed 1,685 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 10, 2007, by M. Bowyer of Indianapolis, Indiana. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement