Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Carlisle in Cumberland County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Carlisle Fort

 
 
Carlisle Fort Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., January 29, 2009
1. Carlisle Fort Marker
Inscription. First fort authorized by Pennsylvania. Laid out by Gov. Morris, July, 1755, “in the middle of this town,” on news of Braddock's defeat. Col. John Armstrong's headquarters till 1758. Called “Fort Lowther” by some later writers.
 
Erected 1961 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
 
Location. 40° 12.1′ N, 77° 11.446′ W. Marker is in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, in Cumberland County. Marker is on High Street (U.S. 11), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is east of Pitt Street. Marker is at or near this postal address: 33 W. High Street, Carlisle PA 17013, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Prelude to Gettysburg (a few steps from this marker); The Carlisle Theatre (within shouting distance of this marker); Carlisle's 250th Anniversary Mural (within shouting distance of this marker); Centenary Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Cumberland County Historical Society & Hamilton Library Association (within shouting distance of this marker); The High Street Train Stations
Carlisle Fort Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., January 29, 2009
2. Carlisle Fort Marker
The former I.O.O.F. Hall is behind the tree to left of the marker.
(within shouting distance of this marker); James Wilson (within shouting distance of this marker); Jim Thorpe (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Carlisle.
 
Categories. Colonial EraForts, CastlesGovernmentMilitaryNotable EventsNotable PersonsWar, French and Indian
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 12, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 979 times since then and 52 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 12, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement