Richmond, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Arnold’s Picket Driven In
This pylon, re-created in granite and containing a replica of the original 1834 inscription, was re-dedicated April 17, 1991, by the Sons of the Revolution in the State of Virginia
The central pylon was erected about 1834 to mark the site in this vicinity where Benedict Arnold’s attack during the Revolution was repulsed. Re-erected 1948 by the Sons of the Revolution in the State of Virginia
The original inscription read: “Arnold’s Picket driven in Jany 4th 1781 by Col. J. Nicholas”
Erected 1834 by Sons of the Revolution in the State of Virginia.
Location. 37° 33.276′ N, 77° 28.397′ W. Marker is in Richmond, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of Grove Avenue and North Mulberry Street, on the right when traveling west on Grove Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Richmond VA 23220, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Confederate Memorial Chapel (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Confederate Memorial Chapel (approx. Robinson House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Residential Life at R. E. Lee Camp, No.1 (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Home For Needy Confederate Women (approx. ¼ mile away); Virginia Historical Society (approx. ¼ mile away); Memorial Bell Tower (approx. 0.4 miles away); Jefferson Davis (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Richmond.
Also see . . . New River Notes. The Destruction of Richmond, Virginia, January 5 and 6, 1781 (Submitted on February 13, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
Categories. • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 13, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,836 times since then and 188 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on February 13, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.