Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Willington in Tolland County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
 

Willington

Incorporated 1727

 
 
Willington Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dawn Bowen, July 10, 2007
1. Willington Marker
Inscription. In 1720 a party of eight men, originally from England, bought sixteen thousand acres in this region and called it Wellington. One of these, Roger Wolcott, subsequently became governor of Connecticut (1750–1754).

After a century of farming the town gradually expanded industrially until 1845 when it boasted a thread mill, a cotton mill, three silk factories, a scythe factory, four comb factories, button mils, and a glassworks (1815–1871) producing demijohns and flasks with varying designs.

Persons of distinction born here were Jared Sparks (1789–1866), historian and biographer and president of Harvard; Elias Loomis, professor at Yale, celebrated mathematician and astronomer.
 
Erected 1976 by Town of Willington, the Willington Historical Society, and the Connecticut Historical Commission.
 
Location. 41° 52.531′ N, 72° 15.85′ W. Marker is in Willington, Connecticut, in Tolland County. Marker is at the intersection of Connecticut Route 74 and Connecticut Route 320, on the right when traveling west on State Route 74. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Willington CT 06279, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies
The Green at Willington image. Click for full size.
By Dawn Bowen, July 10, 2007
2. The Green at Willington
“1727————1927. This tablet commemorates the two hundredth anniversary of the incorporation of the Town of Willmington. Here amid these picturesque hills our forefathers and foremothers toiled for the sake of a goodly heritage. We should do no less.”
. Town of Willington, Connecticut (within shouting distance of this marker); This Edifice (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Willington (approx. 2.4 miles away); Constitution Oak (approx. 7.3 miles away); Ashford (approx. 7.3 miles away); Captain Nathan Hale Monument (approx. 7.8 miles away); Mansfield (approx. 8.2 miles away); a different marker also named Constitution Oak (approx. 10.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Willington.
 
Categories. Notable PersonsSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 11, 2007, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,521 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 11, 2007, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide shot showing this marker and its surroundings • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement