New Bedford in Bristol County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
(inscription on back) In honor of the whalemen whose skill, hardihood and daring brought fame and fortune to New Bedford and made its name known to every seaport on the globe. • Gift of W.W. Crapo • 1913
Erected 1913 by William Wallace Crapo (1830–1926), New Bedord lawyer and congressional representative 1875–1883.
Location. 41° 38.11′ N, 70° 55.628′ W. Marker is in New Bedford, Massachusetts, in Bristol County. Marker is on Pleasant Street. Touch for map. It is at the New Bedford Public Library. . Marker is at or near this postal address: 613 Pleasant St., New Bedford MA 02740, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lewis Temple (within shouting distance of this marker); Frederick Douglass (within shouting distance of this marker); Captain Paul Cuffe's Atlantic World (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Heroes of Fort Wagner (about 700 feet away); Civil War’s First Black Regiment (about 700 feet away); U.S. Custom House-Customary Duty Bourne Warehouse (about 800 feet away); Signs of the Time (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Bedford.
More about this marker. Architect Nat C. Smith was responsible for the foundation and the rainwater drainage of the boat. New Bedford whaler Richard Lewis McLachlan posed for the figure.
Regarding Whaleman’s Memorial. The word “stove” in the inscription is the past tense and past participle of “stave” which means to crush or smash. “A dead whale or a stove boat” was a chant of the whaler. A flick of the whale’s tail could smash the small wooden whaleboat to splinters.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 11, 2007, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,781 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 11, 2007, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.