San Luis Obispo in San Luis Obispo County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Erected by San Luis Obispo County Historical Society. (Marker Number 11.)
Location. 35° 16.781′ N, 120° 39.644′ W. Marker is in San Luis Obispo, California, in San Luis Obispo County. Marker is at the intersection of Morro Street and Marsh Street, on the right on Morro Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 981 Marsh Street, San Luis Obispo CA 93401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. J. P. Andrews Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Juan Bautista de Anza National Historic Trail (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of First County Court House (approx. 0.2 miles away); De Anza Expedition 1775 - 1776 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mission San Luis Obispo de Tolosa (approx. 0.2 miles away); San Luis Obispo Sesquicentennial “Love” and “Double Joy” (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of Ah Louis Store (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Luis Obispo.
More about this marker. Marker is located on Morro Street, although the church has a Marsh Street address.
Regarding Presbyterian Church. The First Presbyterian Church of San Luis Obispo was founded in 1875. The first church constructed on this site lasted only a few years. The second church on the site was constructed in 1884 of redwood and held 200 persons. In 1904 this building was moved to the lot next door and used for another 20 years. Where the redwood church had stood, one of locally-quarried granite one was constructed instead, completed in December 1905.
Also see . . .
1. our history. The First Presbyterian Church of San Luis Obispo's history of their congregation and church. (Submitted on February 25, 2009.)
2. First Presbyterian Church. Joy Fisher's RootsWeb history of the First Presbyterian Church of San Luis Obispo. (Submitted on February 25, 2009.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 25, 2009, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 1,124 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 25, 2009, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.