San Luis Obispo in San Luis Obispo County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Site of First County Court House
Marker placed by California Centennials Commission in cooperation with San Luis Obispo County Centennial Committee
Dedicated February 18, 1950
Erected 1950 by California Centennials Commission in cooperation with San Luis Obispo County Centennial Committee.
Location. 35° 16.941′ N, 120° 39.688′ W. Marker is in San Luis Obispo, California, in San Luis Obispo County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Osos Street and Monterey Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: San Luis Obispo CA 93401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. J. P. Andrews Building (within shouting distance of this marker); San Luis Obispo Sesquicentennial (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); General John C. Fremont (about 600 “Love” and “Double Joy” (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of Ah Louis Store (approx. 0.2 miles away); Juan Bautista de Anza National Historic Trail (approx. 0.2 miles away); Chong's Candy Store (approx. 0.2 miles away); Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Luis Obispo.
More about this marker. Although the marker looks like those used by the State of California to designate California State Historical Landmarks, this site is in fact not such a landmark.
Regarding Site of First County Court House. The courthouse (subject of the marker) was completed in 1873, a handsome 3-story Greek Revival style building. It was demolished in 1940 and succeeded by the building pictured to the left and below, although that too has now been succeeded by a newer 1960's era building.
Also see . . . San Luis Obispo County Courthouse. The California Supreme Court Historical Society's brief history of the San Luis Obispo County Courthouse. (Submitted on March 1, 2009.)
Additional keywords. Courthouse
Categories. • Government • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 1, 2009, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 1,577 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 1, 2009, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.